Friday, May 17, 2013

Language Development data revision 1

Question 2 on the ENGA1 paper is your 10 mark data question, so here's an example with some extracts taken from Jean Aitchison's The Articulate Mammal.

Your job is to comment linguistically on 5 features of the child language below. All we need is an example and an accurate description (with a linguistic label) of what you've identified. If you add answers as comments, I'll give you a mark out of 10. If you're one of my students, the best answer will win an exciting prize from the Happy World of Haribo.

Child Aged 2
I singing
Blue shoes
He is asleep
He is a doctor

Child Aged 3
He wants an apple
I helped mummy
I am singing
He's a doctor
I'm singing

4 comments:

Kayleigh Peters said...

I singing = omission of auxiliary verb 'am'

I singing = telegraphic stage because of omission of auxiliary verb

Blue shoes = two word stage - adjective and noun

He wants an apple = representational - stating facts

He is a doctor = post telegraphic because includes auxiliary verb 'is' and determiner 'a'


Also, could you say that "I helped mummy" is correct application of the past tense bound morpheme "-ed'

Dan said...

I singing = omission of auxiliary verb 'am'
Yes.

I singing = telegraphic stage because of omission of auxiliary verb
Yes.

Blue shoes = two word stage - adjective and noun
Yes.

He wants an apple = representational - stating facts
Yes (although might be best to say "example of Halliday's representational function")

He is a doctor = post telegraphic because includes auxiliary verb 'is' and determiner 'a'
Yes, but "is" here is not an auxiliary verb; it's a copula verb as it links subject (he) to the complement (doctor).

If this were an exam answer, I'd give you all 10 marks. As it's not, you get a bag of haribo. Woo hoo!

Also, could you say that "I helped mummy" is correct application of the past tense bound morpheme "-ed

Yes, that would be a good answer, too.

Dan said...

PS Haribo in my tray outside 641!

Anonymous said...

1. Addition of vowel sound on "mummy" to form CVCV structure

2. Use of '-ing' inflection to form progressive perfect tense in "singing"

3. Use of the auxillary verb "am" indicates post-telegraphic stage in "I am singing"

4. "I singing" takes the form of doer+action in Roger Brown's meaning relations

5. Use of the adjective "blue" to post-modify, indicates two-word stage