Thursday, September 18, 2008

Phwoar, get a load of these

...these new entries into the Oxford Dictionary of Modern Slang, that is. Sorry for the gratuitous picture of Barbara Windsor from the Carry On films (and more recently Eastenders) but phwoar was usually uttered when she was around.

The term phwoar was made famous in the 1960s and 70s by the legendary Sid James and has now made it, along with stud muffin and arm candy into this latest version of the slang dictionary . The story (all 4 paragraphs of it) is here on the Daily Mirror's website or covered in more detail in The Daily Mail here, and you can find out more about the new entries in the dictionary here.

And for this term's first Haribo competition, what word formation process is responsible for stud muffin, Glasgow kiss, happy slapping and arm candy? A bag of Haribo to the first 2 answers posted as comments here.

Useful for:
ENA5 - Language Change
ENGA3 - Language Explorations

10 comments:

suze said...

Hiya Dan, I don't believe you are really sorry about the cahnce to go phwoar! This blog looks lovely, thanks for the link,and god-bless facebook too! Will it be OK for me to encourage my own students to come here? I was going to attempt alang-blog of my own, but can't see much value in duplicating what you are already offering here!

suze said...

The only trouble with doing *your** blog, rather than my own, is that I can't correct my typos. I am the world's worst proof-reader.
Sadly, I am known for it in the on-line forums (fora??) which I frequent.

To reflect that I use this as my signature line:

This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and should not be considered flaws or defects.

Dan said...

Please do encourage your students to contribute, suze. It'd be good to have some different views.

suze said...

okey cokey

Leanne.G said...

ITS BLENDIIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
BLENDING BLENDING!!!!

Do I win it?

Leanne. WLB16 I'm in yer class sir....yarrrrrgh

Dan said...

Well, you would... but it's not blending! Look again...

Leanne Again said...

Oh oh wait..........com...poun..ding.........................Arggh I don't have the book! I'm guessing...

>_<

Dan said...

Glory be! You are a winner. Welcome to the happy land of Haribo

Anonymous said...

Fanta D. A2 English Language, Block D, Mr Clayton and Mr Goodman.

I belive its compounding sir, however 'happy slapping' can also be expressed as a euphemism.!!!

Dan said...

Fanta, you too are a winner. And yes, "happy slapping" would seem to be a pretty good example of a euphemism. But sadly I have no extra Haribo to award for that point.

Try your luck with this week's competition too!